Need a last minute Mother’s Day gift idea? I got you.
This super easy surprise inside french toast is all you need! It’s part fruity, part tres leches sweet and moist and crunchy as well. It is so delicious you’ll be thankful you’ve made two halves.
Just look at how amazing it looks on the outside….
And the inside!
I was inspired to make this dish after discovering the super trendy Shibuya Toast, a very unique dessert/food originated in the district of Shibuya, Tokyo. There you have endless possibilities for the add-ons of this super tall honey toast.
And that’s the best thing about this edible gift: you can fill it up with your mom’s favorite things!
If she’s more of a sweet tooth you could include in it cookies, chocolate chips, marshmallows, ice cream, gummy bears, chocolate, etc. but if she’s more into savory things you can take away the tres leches and switch it up by adding cheese, ham, mushroom, and an egg if she’s having it for breakfast or even meat if you’re having it for lunch! Get creative!
This Mother’s Day hope you have a chance to celebrate with your mom, wherever she is – mine lives in another country but we’ll be having a special Skype date – and if you can, try to show her love every single day! A text, a call, a special message, a photo, even a Snap, anything to remind her of how special she is and how you wouldn’t be the same (or even here) without her!
Mamás rock. Y punto. So honor them, be it with a gift, a song, a hug, or a super yummy breakfast!
Surprise Inside French Toast
Prep time: 10 min Cooking time: 20-25 min Total time: 30-35 min
(to make 2 toasts)
-1 white loaf of bread, whole
-½ can of sweetened condensed milk (7oz)
-½ can of evaporated milk (8 oz)
-7 oz of whole milk
-1 tsp. of vanilla
-50 grams of unsalted butter, divided
FILLING SUGGESTIONS (choose anything your mom likes!)
-6-8 strawberries, clean and chopped into squares
-⅓ cup of blueberries
-⅓ cup of chopped mango (less than 1 small mango)
-3-4 ice cream scoops
-gummies (for decoration)
-melted cajeta or caramel/chocolate syrup
- Preheat your oven to 450 F.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half (or 3 pieces, depending on the length).
- Make a square incision in each, without poking the walls of the bread, to be able to take out most of the interior and turn each half into a container. Chop this inside bread into squares.
- Make your tres leches mix: add sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, whole milk and vanilla into a bowl/jug.
- In a separate bowl, add ½ cup of the tres leches mix and 1 Tablespoon of melted unsalted butter. Mix.
- Soak the bread cubes into this mix but be careful not to ruin their shape. Pass them on top of a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Now in a bowl mix again ½ cup of tres leches mix with 1 Tbsp of melted unsalted butter. Mix and, using a brush, cover the bread containers with this mixture. You could also add an egg to make it more “french-toasty”. Transfer containers to baking sheet.
- Bake the bread (both containers and cubes) for about 20-30 min (if you put an egg at least 30 min.) or until it looks toasty.
- In the meantime you can mix any fruits together if you’re doing a light version of this dish.
- Once the bread is out of the oven and it has cooled down a bit, you can fill each half with your mom’s favorite things! Decorate the top and voilá!