This Southwestern Chicken Casserole is pure JOY.
And an extended joy if you count the long weekend! “Long weekend” for me is a synonym of:
- Staying an extra hour in bed
- Making plans to go out in the sun (if you can! Hopefully you can!)
- Forgetting about work at least for a little bit, enjoying the moment.
- Aaand my favorite: spending some more time cooking!
Which is why I made this summery-dish that’s perfect for Memorial Day Weekend – or any long weekend after that. It’s not hard to make -as you will see it’s basically layering up levels of goodness in between a mighty poblano pepper sauce that tastes like border-town fun.
It has the satisfying feeling all casseroles have, of just putting things together and then letting them cook slowly, forgetting about it for a bit if you dare say. But I can’t say it’s “just a casserole” – the minute you try a spoonful of this creamy and spicy concoction you’ll be transported to a fiery hot El Paso, Texas.
You wanna know a secret? Initially, I was going to create a salad with these ingredients, but I couldn’t get off my mind the idea of making a green molcajete salsa I had a LOT richer — and thanks to Mexican media crema for existing!
Last day to vote is June 6th! ☺
Southwestern Chicken Casserole
Prep time: 15 min Cooking time: 25 min Total time: 40 min.
- ½ package of Del Real Foods’ Salsa de Molcajete Verde
- 1 full package of Del Real Foods’ Shredded Chicken
- 300 grams (or 12 oz) of fusilli (or favorite pasta), cooked
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- 14 oz of media crema (thick, Mexican cream. Substitute: heavy cream)
- ½ small red onion, chopped in squares
- 1 ½ cups of shredded asadero cheese
- 1 cup of shredded manchego cheese
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in thin slices
- 1 small bunch of chopped cilantro, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Make your green molcajete crema: in a small pot add half of Deal Real Foods’ Salsa de Molcajete Verde and 1 ¾ cup (or 14 oz) of media crema (this is a Mexican thick cream, substitute with heavy cream). Cook in medium heat, stirring, and mix well. Remove from stove.
- Build your casserole in layers! In an oven-safe pan (I used a 6 x 6 in pan), add a thin layer of green media crema to the bottom and then a layer of pasta – make sure you cover all the surface. Next, spread out on top of the pasta about 1 cup of black beans, ½ cup of corn, a couple of tablespoons of chopped red onion, the slices of 4 cherry tomatoes and half of your shredded manchego cheese.
- Add a layer of Del Real Foods’ Shredded Chicken, spread it out.
- Continue your layers with a cup of the green media crema top it off with ½ cup of shredded asadero cheese.
- Repeat the pattern! Pasta + veggies + manchego cheese + chicken + media crema + asadero cheese.
- Finish off with a last layer of pasta, 1 cup of media crema, and shredded asadero cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20 min covered.
- Take casserole out of the oven, remove aluminum foil and bake for 10 more minutes for added crispiness.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!